Wednesday, July 13, 2016

maia's kitty party

In early May, we hosted a kitty party for Maia. Before settling on a cat theme, she also asked for a pink lemonade party, a candy party, and an Ever After High party.  But when the kitty idea persisted for more than a week, I got to work.

maia's kitty party


Does the invitation artwork look familiar? I turned the illustrations into a stamp set for Neat and Tangled this month. You can buy it for yourself HERE.

I love that I can say I did this party from scratch, all of it. I know I won't have many more years where they will like these kinds of parties, so I am enjoying it while I can.

Here is a look at the party table:

maia's kitty party

The cake was my favorite ever.

maia's kitty party

I'd never worked with fondant before, or piped fur onto a cake, but it all turned out pretty well! We make the kitty grey, to match all of the artwork.

maia's kitty party

My tips, from a beginner to another aspiring fur piper: take breaks. Your hand will get a workout! And make sure the frosting doesn't get too warm. I had to put my piping bag in the fridge a few times so that the fur didn't look like lumps of poo.

maia's kitty party

Since I bought the little tub of fondant to make the cat ears, nose, whiskers and eyes (for the cake) I used the rest to decorate the sugar cookies. They aren't perfect, but all together in a pile they were very cute. I tinted the fondant pink and added some blush for the cheeks, whiskers and a nose.

maia's kitty party

For cupcake toppers, I bought little styrofoam balls from the dollar store, and wrapped yarn around them. I pushed a lollipop stick into each ball and displayed them on top of cupcakes.

maia's kitty party

These little mouse treats were made out of Laughing Cow cheese triangles, sliced almond ears, and little peppercorn eyes and noses. I cut slivers of green onion for the tails. They were a party favorite!

maia's kitty party

Since none of the girls had food allergies, I made peanut butter balls, and threw in chocolate chips and cranberries to make them look a little chunky, and rolled them in coconut. They tasted amazing, and we thought it was pretty funny.

maia's kitty party

For drinks, the girls could choose between these milk bottles, or some purrfect pink lemonade:

maia's kitty party


I dressed up some chevron party cups for them to drink out of:

maia's kitty party

I created my own design and cut it out with my Silhouette cutter out of grey cardstock. I then used a white gel pen to add highlights to the ears, and a pink marker for the blushy cheeks.

maia's kitty party

The girls made their own cat-shaped pizzas for lunch. 8 little girls in my kitchen had me sweating, I won't lie.

After some face painting, crafting, and pin the tail on the kitten, the girls got to take home an adopted stuffed cat, and some candy in these little milk-carton treat boxes:

maia's kitty party

I hope you liked this look at our kitty party!

maia's kitty party

maia's kitty party


♥.

16 comments:

  1. This is the cutest birthday party theme I've seen in years. ADORABLE extras, and the cake is such FUN. She had to have just loved it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! I can't wait to have a place to start throwing parties in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Love all of your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg! This is soooo awesome and cute! I wish to go on such party ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I don't have words! fantastic!
    xx Olga

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amaze me with each party! Your ideas are always the cutest and so creative. That cat cake is adorbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just awesome! You thought of everything! I'm sure the little girls/kitties loved it! You have such lovely photos of the event to scrapbook now, and perfect page embellishments, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elena, this is the cutest party I have ever seen! Absolutely everything was/is adorable! I love the stamp set, I'm enjoying inking it up already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU ARE SO CLEVER and your daughter is so lucky to have you in her life - you are SO VERY creative and clever and this looks like a PAWSitively PURRfect party!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one incredible mom! This is all so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are ingenious! clever, fun,& creative! amazing. i always come back to your blog for the PURRties you throw! full of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete