Monday, June 30, 2014

time to go bananas! {a banana split party}

The lawn fawn team is partnering with xyron this week, to bring you fun projects made possible using their adhesives.

On the last day of school, I presented my kids with an invitation to a banana split party.

go bananas!

They were so sleepy and hilarious when they read the back of the invite.

go bananas!

It said: we're so proud of you for all the hard work you put in this year...but now that school's out, it's time to go bananas! when you get home, there will be a party waiting for you - cake! cookies! cousins! and don't forget to BYOB: bring your own banana.

go bananas!

They gave weird, tired smiles and went to school. I waited until Maia's naptime to set this up:

go bananas!

I wanted it to be a fun surprise when they walked through the door/woke up from the nap.

go bananas!

I love the cherry on top of each letter, all glossy and cute.  I used a brown gel pen to flick some spotty banana dots on each letter, and a white gel pen to create a fun highlight as well.

go bananas!


I crafted the bottle labels to match the invitation. Ice cream sundae + banana, and on the stitched circle to match the banner.

I found the polka-dotted hot pink straws at the dollar spot in Target ages ago, and they worked perfectly here! I also found these yellow corn holders in the dollar spot, just a few days before this little party.  I thought it looked banana-ish, to hold a trio of cakes each:

go bananas!

These cakes are wonky, but so yummy. I baked up one recipe of banana-caramel cake and then used scraps to create these tiny cakes. With a gumball on top, they were the kids' choice.

Speaking of cake,

go bananas!

yup. you are welcome.

go bananas!

They were delicious.  And, thanks to my friend Marlyn (Montreal Confections), I had the sweetest bunches of banana cookies to display at the party. Spotted bananas never looked so cute.

go bananas!


My favorite party craft, has to be the hats.

go bananas!

Banana split party hats, with a cherry bead on top.

go bananas!

I hot-glued the bead to the hat, and then just cut slivers of black cardstock for the stem. A dab of hot glue to keep them stuck inside the bead.

I cut myself a wavy stencil (out of post it strips) and sponged brown ink all over the bottom of the hat. Then, using a white gel marker, I added a white layer over that one before adding tiny paper sprinkles all around.

My niece was the only kid who was nice enough to stop for a picture. She literally froze this way for the minute it took me to get my camera and shoot the picture. ha. It was so weird and fantastic, all at once.  My sister has them trained.

go bananas!


I hope you like it! We went bananas!

♥.

13 comments:

  1. haha! Lauren! The party was amazing, tasted as great as it looked, and the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena.....what a fantastic idea. You are such a wonderful mom! Thanks so much for sharing this idea!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love the hats and love how you colored the letters with the speckles on the bottom and added the cherries on top. Your niece's photo totally cracked me up too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You should get MOM of the year! for this. so special, and it all has me hungry...smile...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! Absolutely beautiful! I really love this one! And your niece is hilarious and adorable! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! How adorable are all of these wonderful projects?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This party must have been a real blast. I want my banana split.:):):) Very cute and creative decorations and your niece deserves an extra cherry on hers.

    Sue
    http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...what a fabulous looking party...so many fun goodies and what an incredible card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are incredible mom!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you are one super good mom! What a fun way to start summer vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is too awesome, Elena! Love everything crafty related of course, but omg those cakes!! Nom nom... Those are some lucky kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow this is amazing.. so creative and super cute.. love it all..

    ReplyDelete