Monday, April 30, 2012

Monster party, spotlight on food.

Thomas celebrated his 5th birthday in happy-monster-style this past weekend, and I'm happy to report that all of the adopted monsters got a good night's sleep in their new homes :)

I thought I'd spotlight the food today, and show you our activities, decor, and favors tomorrow.

We had a bit of fun with googly eyes, popping them onto toothpicks, and into some of the food... our little pepper-turned-monster sent my birthday boy into a fit of giggles before the party.

I already showed off my googly-eyed cups, but aren't they even better with stripey straws?  Yes, I thought so too.

Sorry for the wobbly shot, but it's the only one I got of the lunchtime table.  We served everything a 5-year-old-loves-because-his-mommy-won't-let-him-eat-it-normally:  hotdogs wrapped in crescent rolls, chicken nuggets, smiley-faced fries... and some veggies so the other moms wouldn't hate on me too much ;)

Oh, and the blackboard?  hee.  I had fun re-creating the scene from the "eek! a monster" stamp set that I used on all of the decor.  (Full disclosure:  I put Maia in the tub with some toys so that I could have 10 minutes alone to draw this masterpiece, and after about 15 minutes (oops), Maia was crying and Thomas was yelling: "you better come see, mom!"  What I found was a whole lotta yucky mess...sigh.)  Um, back to the food?

My favorite touches were the fry boxes with the pretzels inside.  I got the template *here* and just gave it the same newsprint+monster treatment as our invitations.

The dessert table was so much fun to put together:

 Lemme show you everything a bit closer up:



 The husband-carved-fruit-vomiting monster.  My man was artfully arranging every grape on that platter... I have taught him well...

 I have a few of those cheap, plastic chocolate molds - after dipping the marshmallows and cake pops in the blue candy melts, I used the leftovers to make a batch of these star chocolates.

 Speaking of marshmallows, the one on the top right looks a little shady...

 Mmmm.... eyeballs.  I made cake balls, popped an icing eye on the top and plopped it down into a bowl full of candy worms.  The boys loved it.

 I'm only showing this picture because I can't stop cracking up at the googly-eyed-orange peeking out from behind the cupcakes.


I like to keep things as unified as possible on the dessert tables: I popped some popcorn (my first time on the stove-top!) and drizzled candy coating over it.  It was the perfect sweet-salty snack!

 They were all good.  They all got their treats.

Hope you enjoyed a look at our monster party food!  See you tomorrow for the rest of the party!





17 comments:

  1. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I think to be honest the marshmallow pops and the vomiting watermelon are my favs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness ...what an awesome party :0) All the googly eyes are so funny !
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. You did an amazing job. Love it all. Lucky for you having the help of your husband. Many very creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're so talented Elena! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW !!! you surely have a gift for special deco !!! have you ever done weddgins ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for tomorrow to see the rest!! Do you think I could pull of a "Monster 16" party? probably not...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Your party is incredible. You thought of everything, and it is all so cute. You should be a party planner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun party. Second Joyce that you should be a party planner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so amazing, Elena! I love all the little details you included! And I really want a blackboard on my wall now, too....

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so SOOOO cute!! You're so amazingly creative and have the best ideas! I love the watermelon, and I love the googly eyes on everything - so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG you are a genius! Why don't you just go into party planning already?? Can't wait to see the rest of the pics! Seriously, amaze-balls!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can hardly even take the cuteness!!! Just WOW!!!! I love all the sweet touches, that watermelon monster is the best! And that scene you created on the chalkboard and the table scape...your son is one lucky little guy! I bet all his friends were jealous that their moms can't even come close to one of your parties! You have to submit one of these to a magazine...you are amazing, Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am on pins and needles for tomorrow's post. So fabulous as always. I may have to pick your brain for some ideas for Joshua's 1st bday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many things to love here!! Kudos to your husband for the vomitting monster...awesome! Love the shady marshmallow pops and all of your chalk art!! Fabulous party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. FUN stuff!!!! I love the vomitting monster, so much fun! And I love the fry boxes and the chalkboard art. It's all fabulous Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, my previous comment about the monster party was made before I saw this post. Just amazing...

    ReplyDelete